Water TESTING SERVICES
Caminos de Agua offers private testing services in addition to our work in rural communities. If you would like to have your water tested, you will need to go through the following steps:
- Consider which type of testing you would like.
- Complete an online form to send us your details.
- Collect your sample(s).
- Drop off your sample(s) at our lab.
Please scroll down through the steps below, or click on one of the steps above to jump straight there!
Step 1 – Consider which type of testing you would like
Full Test (Fluoride, Arsenic, pH, Total Dissolved Solids)
Cost: MXN $ 750
Processing time: 2 weeks
Description: This test covers the two most commonly-occurring mineral contaminants in the region – fluoride and arsenic – as well as giving information on the pH and amount of total dissolved solids.
(If you are a member of a group such as the Urban Water Quality Monitoring Program (UWQMP), or you have arranged to send us a group of samples for special testing, or you are sending a sample from a rural community or urban well, then please select this option on the online form below.)
Quick filtration system efficiency Test
Cost: MXN $ 200
Processing time: 24 hours
Description: This test is for people with a filtration system (e.g. Reverse Osmosis, Berkey Filter etc.) who want to make sure their system is working correctly. The test does not give results on the levels of specific contaminants like fluoride and arsenic, but it does give a quick result showing the overall efficiency of the system (% removal of dissolved ions).
OTHER TESTING (E.G. BIOLOGICAL, NITRATES)
Cost: Dependent on request.
Processing time: Dependent on request.
Description: We are able to test for other contaminants upon special request. We have the capacity to test for total coliforms and E. coli (a potentially harmful fecal coliform) using the widely renowned IDEXX Quanti method, which is used as standard by governments around the globe. We are also able to test for nitrates, which may present a problem in surface water in high-intensive agricultural areas. Such tests can also be combined with one of the tests above. However, if you are looking to test for bacteria, you may find it quicker and easier to test through another lab in San Miguel.
Step 2 – Complete an online form to senD us your details
Step 3 – collect your sample(s)
Once you have completed the form above to send us your details, then you're ready to collect your water sample(s)! Here are the instructions for how to collect them:
for the Full Test (Fluoride, Arsenic, pH, Total Dissolved Solids):
- Find a container: Find an empty PLASTIC bottle or container with a capacity of 1 litre or more. A normal water bottle is fine. It does not need to be new, but it must be plastic.
- Let water flow: Turn on the tap (or sample water source) and let it run for 2-5 minutes, if you can.
- Clean the container: Half-fill the container with sample water, cap the container, and shake it vigorously to clean. Repeat this 3 times.
- Fill the container: Fill the container with sample water and cap it tightly.
- Label the container: Write the following on the container in permanent marker: your name, the first line of your address, and the date the sample was taken. If you are submitting multiple samples from the same address, please also write a brief description of the water sample on the container (e.g. "post-filter).
- (If you are submitting multiple samples for testing): Repeat these steps for each sample you would like to submit for testing.
For the Quick filtration system efficiency Test:
- Find two containers: Find two PLASTIC OR GLASS bottles or containers with a capacity of at least 100 mL each (but preferably at least 500 mL). A normal water bottle is fine. They do not need to be new, but they must be plastic or glass. One container will contain pre-filter water (water from the normal tap) and the other will contain post-filter water (water that has been treated by the filtration system you want to test).
- Let water flow: Turn on the tap (or sample water source) and let it run for 2-5 minutes, if you can. Do this for both the pre- and post-filter water sources if possible.
- Clean the containers: Half-fill the container with the relevant sample water, cap the container, and shake it vigorously to clean. Repeat this 3 times. Do this for each container, using the relevant sample water for each.
- Fill the containers: Fill each container with the relevant sample water and cap them tightly.
- Label the containers: Write the following on each container in permanent marker: your name, the first line of your address, the date the sample was taken, and whether the container contains normal tap water (write "pre-filter") or water treated by your filtration system (write "post-filter"). If you are submitting multiple samples from different filtration systems, then please also write a description of the filtration system on the containers (e.g. "reverse osmosis").
- (If you are testing multiple filtration systems): Repeat these steps for each filtration system you would like to test.
Step 4 – Drop off your Sample(S) at our Lab
Once you have submitted your details, we will contact you to confirm an appointment to come into the Caminos Lab. Please do not come to the lab if we have not confirmed an appointment with you by email or phone.
If you chose to pay by cash when submitting your details, then please remember to bring cash with you when you come. Exact change is appreciated.
Caminos Lab – Contact Details and Location
Explore the map below, or click here to open the location in Google Maps.
Federico Montes de Oca 2-C
San Miguel de Allende